Dwyane Wade murdered the Dallas Mavericks on their home floor for the Miami Heat to win their first NBA championship. The Miami Heat Index wraps up the "Murdered You on Your Own Shit" Award Series: NBA Playoffs Edition with some interesting stats about when and where the 20 best playoff performances on the road in the last 20 years happened.
HipHopSite.com’s excellent “Murdered You On Your Own Shit” Awards inspired a new series of articles at the Miami Heat Index. The first article, Did the King Murder Wade On His Own Team focused on whether LeBron James outplayed Wade on his own team last season. This article will focus on players that went on the road and murdered the other team on their own court in front of their own crowd and on the biggest stage: the playoffs.
In the last 20 years, 21 players have murdered the other team on their own court by scoring 40+ points on the road in an NBA playoff game, according to basketball-reference.com. The "Murdered You On Your Own Shit" Award Series: NBA Playoffs Edition ranked players by the number of 40-point games on the road. All ties went to the player with the higher Win Score per 48 Minutes average. See the article Simple Models of Player Performance by sports economist David Berri for more information on Win Score.
This spreadsheet lists all the player stats for the “Murdered You On Your Own Shit” Awards Series: NBA Playoffs Edition.
Only four players murdered a team on their own shit in an elimination game in the last 20 years: Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, Kobe Bryant and Allen Iverson.
Jordan did it three times in his career:
- Game 3 against the Heat in the first round of the 1992 playoffs
- Game 4 against the Orlando Magic in the 1995 Eastern Conference Finals
- Game 6 against the Utah Jazz in the 1998 NBA Finals
Barkley only murdered a team on their own shit when it was an elimination game.
- Game 3 against the Golden State Warriors in the first round of the 1994 playoffs
- Game 3 against the Portland Trailblazers in the first round of the 1995 playoffs
Kobe murdered the Sacramento Kings in Game 4 of the 2001 Western Conference Semifinals and Allen Iverson murdered the New Orleans Hornets in Game 6 to eliminate them from the first round of the 2003 playoffs.
A few other stats about when teams were murdered in the playoffs on their home court in the last 20 years are listed below.
- 15 of the 35 murders committed in the last 20 years came in the first round from Charles Barkley, Jason Richardson, Michael Jordan, Dirk Nowitzki, Ray Allen, Tony Parker, Paul Pierce, Rex Chapman, Tracy McGrady, Chauncey Billups, Allen Iverson and LeBron James
- Nine games came in the conference semifinals from LeBron James, Kevin Johnson, Kobe Bryant, Derrick Rose, Chris Mullin, Nick Van Exel, Dwyane Wade, Karl Malone and Russell Westbrook
- Seven games came in the conference finals from Hakeem Olajuwon, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Michael Jordan and Dirk Nowitzki
- Four games came in the NBA Finals from Michael Jordan and Allen Iverson
Multiple murders were committed in eight different seasons.
- Six times in 2003 by Nick Van Exel, Chauncey Billups, Allen Iverson, Dirk Nowitzki, Tracy McGrady and Paul Pierce
- Five times in 1995 by Hakeem Olajuwon, Kevin Johnson, Charles Barkley and Michael Jordan
- Three times in 2011 by Dirk Nowitzki, Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose
- Three times in 2001 by Allen Iverson and Kobe Bryant
- Twice in 2009 by Kobe Bryant and LeBron James
- Twice in 2005 by Dwyane Wade and Ray Allen
- Twice in 1997 by Karl Malone and Rex Chapman
- Twice in 1992 by Michael Jordan
Here's an interesting stat from the spreadsheet about where the murders occurred over the last 20 years: 10 teams were murdered multiple times on their own floor in the last 20 seasons.
- Portland Trailblazers: Murdered four times by an average WS48 of 26.7
- Sacramento Kings: Murdered three times by an average WS48 of 23.5
- San Antonio Spurs: Murdered three times by an average WS48 of 20.3
- Los Angeles Lakers: Murdered three times by an average WS48 of 16.6
- Charlotte/New Orleans Hornets: Murdered three times by an average WS48 of 16.2
- Atlanta Hawks: Murdered twice by an average WS48 of 29.1
- Phoenix Suns: Murdered twice by an average WS48 of 21.6
- Detroit Pistons: Murdered twice by an average WS48 of 17.8
- Orlando Magic: Murdered twice by an average WS48 of 16.2
- Washington Wizards: Murdered twice by an average WS48 of 14.1
Check out the links below for video of the 20 best road performances in the playoffs over the last 20 years and the complete "Murdered You on Your Own Shit" Award Series: NBA Playoffs Edition.
- Part Four for players ranked 1-5
- Part Three for players ranked 6-10
- Part Two for players ranked 11-15
- Part One for players ranked 16-20