If you knew everything that would happen in the 2012 NBA season, then would you still watch it?
If not... Spoiler alert: bloggers from the Miami Heat Index, HeatFreak.com and Section 357 Show analyzed and predicted everything about the NBA from the pre-season to the 2012 Playoffs.
Podcasters: Miami Heat Index, Alfredo Arteaga and Big Shot Ron
Recorded: December 23, 2011 at 6:05 PM ET
Duration: 31:55 (Part 1), 34:37 (Part 2), 24:12 (Part 3)
How to Listen: Play the audio embedded below, download Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3... or subscribe via iTunes
Companion ReadingThe podcasters referenced the articles listed below during the discussion.
Miami Heat Index:
- 2012 Season Preview: Five Biggest Stories Facing HEAT
- 2012 Eastern Conference Preview: Fanalyst Rankings with Mrs. NBA
- 2012 Western Conference Preview: Fanalyst Rankings with Mrs. NBA
Alfredo Arteaga: HeatFreak.com 2011-2012 NBA Season Preview
Big Shot Ron:
- Predictions That Will Surely Change... WHEN THE EAST IS IN THE HOUSE
- Predictions That Will Surely Change... West Up!
Part 1: From Christmas to the All-Star Game
The first part of the discussion included analysis of pre-season moves and big games on the schedule as well as predictions for Christmas Day and All-Star Weekend in Orlando (click link to download).
Biggest Pre-Season Improvements
- Heat: Udonis Haslem’s health (aka The Gator Effect), the addition of Norris Cole and a new offense
- Bulls: Carlos Boozer’s weight loss and conditioning
- West: Clippers' Christmas gift from David Stern and Rudy Gay’s health
Biggest Pre-Season Questions
- Heat: Mike Miller’s health, Dexter Pittman and the center rotation
- Bulls: Richard Hamilton's flow in the offense and the health of Boozer and Joakim Noah
- West: Number of games Kobe Bryant scores 40 or more points for a decimated Lakers roster, Russell Westbrook's improvement at point guard and the sustainability of Chauncey Billups at shooting guard
Christmas Day Predictions
- Celtics at Knicks: Knicks (MHI), Celtics (Alfredo & Big Shot Ron)
- HEAT at Mavericks: HEAT
- Bulls at Lakers: Bulls
- Magic at Thunder: OKC
- Clippers at Warriors: Clippers (MHI), GSW (Alfredo & Big Shot Ron)
What are the biggest dates on the schedule after Christmas and before the All-Star Game?
- MHI: 1/11/12 MIA @ LAC with a 10-game win streak on the line, 3/29/12 Mavs return to AAA, 4/19/12 Bulls come to AAA with first place in the East on the line
- Alfredo: 12/30/11 CHI @ LAC will determine if Clippers are a title contender, 1/25/12 LAC @ LAL will determine who the Staples Center belongs to this season, 3/14/12 MIA @ CHI will test the HEAT on the road
- Big Shot Ron: Bulls begin a nine-game road trip @ MIA on 1/29/12 that ends @ BOS on 2/12/12
- East Starters: Derrick Rose, Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony (MHI & Big Shot Ron) OR Amare Stoudemire (Alfredo), Dwight Howard (MHI & Alfredo) OR Chris Bosh (Big Shot Ron)
- West Starters: Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin (MHI) OR Dirk Nowitzki (Big Shot Ron & Alfredo), DeAndre Jordan (MHI) OR Andrew Bynum (Alfredo) OR Dwight Howard (Big Shot Ron)
- Three-Point Shootout Winner: James Jones (MHI & Alfredo), Anthony Morrow (Big Shot Ron)
- Slam Dunk Contest Winner: John Wall (MHI & Alfredo), Dwight Howard* (Big Shot Ron)
*Big Shot Ron covered his bets by picking Terrence Williams or DeMar DeRozan if Dwight Howard doesn't enter the dunk contest.
Part 2: From the Trade Deadline to the Finals
The second part of the discussion predicted blockbuster trades and scandals and analyzed the winners, loser, pretenders and snoozers in each conference (click link to download).
- Dwight Howard: Lakers
- Deron Williams: None
- Other: Monta Ellis and Rudy Gay won't end the season on the Warriors and Grizzlies (Big Shot Ron), Andrew Bynum will be traded for Gerald Wallace (Alfredo)
Twitter Will Blow Up When...
- MHI: Sexually Deviant Behavior of Rose is Exposed. Where there's smoke... there's fire.
- HeatFreak: Stern Bans Mavs from Signing Deron Williams.
- Big Shot Ron: Daryl Morey Snitches - What Really Happened to the Lakers' CP3 Trade
The teams listed below are the title contenders this season.
- East: HEAT, Bulls
- West: Thunder, Mavs
- Who wins the
asterisktitle? HEAT (MHI is the only podcaster that thinks the title will come with an asterisk)
The teams listed below will compete for the worst records in the league and probably won't be above tanking to get it.
- East: Bobcats (MHI & Big Shot Ron), Cavs (Alfredo)
- West: Jazz (MHI), Timberwolves (Alfredo & Big Shot Ron)
- Who will get the #1 pick in the draft? Bobcats (MHI), Cavs (Alfredo), Hornets (Big Shot Ron)
The teams listed below will make the playoffs but won't make it out the first round.
- East: Knicks (MHI & Alfredo), Celtics (Big Shot Ron)
- West: Lakers (MHI & Alfredo), Blazers (Big Shot Ron)
- Who gets fired? Mike D’Antoni (MHI & Alfredo), Vinny Del Negro (Big Shot Ron)
The teams listed below are sleepers that could upset a contender in the playoffs and make a surprise run for the Finals.
- East: Celtics (MHI), Hawks (Alfredo), Bucks (Big Shot Ron - you have to listen to understand)
- West: Clippers (MHI), Spurs (Alfredo), Lakers (Big Shot Ron)
- Who will get the surprise contract? Kevin Garnett (MHI), Joe Johnson (Alfredo thinks he'll justify his existing contract), Scott Skiles (Big Shot Ron)
Part 3: Regular Season Awards
The third part of the discussion predicted the season's award winners and analyzed the five best players in the NBA that should make the All-NBA First Team (click link to download).
- Coach of the Year: Gregg Popovich (MHI), Scott Brooks (Alfredo), Lionel Hollins (Big Shot Ron)
- Executive of the Year: Glen Grunwald (MHI & Big Shot Ron), Neil Olshey (Alfredo)
- Most Improved Player: Eric Gordon (MHI), DeAndre Jordan (Alfredo), DeMar DeRozan
- Sixth Man of the Year: James Harden (MHI), Udonis Haslem (Alfredo), Lamar Odom (Big Shot Ron)
- Defensive Player of the Year: Joakim Noah (MHI), Dwight Howard (Alfredo & Big Shot Ron)
- Rookie of the Year: Kenneth Faried (MHI), Kemba Walker (Alfredo), Kyrie Irving (Big Shot Ron)
WadeChris Paul (MHI), Kevin Durant (Alfredo & Big Shot Ron)
All-NBA First Team
- PG: Chris Paul (MHI), Derrick Rose (Alfredo & Big Shot Ron)
- SG: Dwyane Wade
- SF: LeBron James
- PF: Kevin Durant
- C: Dwight Howard
End of the Season Surprises
This podcast was inspired by E.J. Fischer.