Before the Miami HEAT and Oklahoma City Thunder tip-off the NBA Finals, the HEATcast discussed the biggest question marks in the series and predicted who will win the coaching matchup, which players will be the best defender and reserve, the best game of the series to watch and the moment that will blow up Twitter.
Podcasters: Miami Heat Index, Alfredo Arteaga from HeatFreak.com, Pheana Winfield and Big Shot Ron from The Section 357 Show
Recorded: June 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM ET
How to Listen: Play the audio embedded below, download the mp3 or subscribe to iTunes
Companion ReadingThe podcasters discussed the articles and topics listed below during the HEATcast.
- 2012 NBA Finals, Something For Everyone by Big Shot Ron
- 2012 NBA Finals Preview at HeatFreak.com by Alfredo Arteaga
- Season Preview HEATcast: Everything You Need to Know About the 2012 NBA Season Before It Even Starts
- Playoff Preview HEATcast: Everything You Need to Know About the 2012 NBA Playoffs Before They Start
Who wins The NBA Finals?
- MHI: HEAT in 5
- AA: HEAT in 6
- PW: HEAT in 7
- RON: HEAT in 7
What's the biggest question for The Finals?
- MHI: Will "NBA Finals Wade" show up?
- AA: Will the Thunder match straight up with the HEAT on defense?
- PW: Who wins the matchup between Serge Ibaka and Chris Bosh?
- RON: Can the HEAT matchup with Russell Westbrook?
Who wins the coaching matchup?
- MHI: Scott Brooks. Spo lost the benefit of the doubt when he panicked vs. the Pacers. Brooks will play his best players. Spo may or may not.
- AA: Erik Spoelstra. Brooks does a terrible job as coach. His use of Kendrick Perkins is Exhibit A.
- PW: Even. Both coaches have made bad mistakes and good adjustments.
- RON: Erik Spoelstra. He's the Mario Chalmers of NBA coaches.
Who will be the Defensive Player of The Finals?
- MHI: LeBron. Can he do to Kevin Durant in 2012 what he did to Derrick Rose in 2011?
- AA: Ibaka. Brooks will end up using him exclusively at center because Perkins will be useless.
- PW: LeBron or Thabo Sefolosha. The King will guard everybody at some point and Sefolosha can affect Wade's offense.
- RON: LeBron. He will have to guard the NBA's scoring champ in the 4th quarter and vice versa.
Who will be the best reserve in The Finals?
- MHI: If James Harden sets up shop at the free throw line, it's a problem. How much damage will #ShavedMonkeyNuts aka Shane Battier do?
- AA: Derek Fisher. He'll be the HEAT's most important player.
- PW: Udonis Haslem. It's not guaranteed that he starts, but it's simple - no rebounds, no rings.
- RON: Joel Anthony. His defense on Ibaka and physical presence against Perkins can be big for the HEAT in this series.
What will be the best game of The Finals?
- MHI: Game 2. HEAT may be the best counter-punching team in the NBA. 2nd half of Game 2 should be classic.
- AA: Game 5. It should be epic, just like 2006.
- PW: Game 3. The HEAT can come back 1-1, 0-2 or 2-0. It's the momentum-changing game.
- RON: Game 5. That's the game where you get your 40/40 duel.
Twitter will break when...